The Leading News & Information Service For The Facilities, Workplace & Built Environment Community

Tuesday, 10 December

Office Workers Escape Poison Gas Leak

Firefighters were called to investigate a smell of chemicals in an office building yesterday evening (Thurs 28) and 60 people were evacuated. The incident was on Clifford Street in London's busy West End.

Ten people left a basement conference room before crews arrived and firefighters evacuated a further 50 people from the four storey office block.

Crews using specialist equipment found raised levels of carbon monoxide and carried out a sweep of the building to identify the source of the leak. This was found to be a boiler in the basement which they isolated. The building was ventilated before being handed back to the owners.

Five people were treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service and a further five were taken to hospital for precautionary checks.

The Brigade was called just after 5:00pm and the incident was over at about 7:20pm. Fire crews from Soho and Lambeth fire stations attended the scene as well as a number of specialist appliances.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. At least 50 people die every year as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. Despite this, there is a lack of carbon monoxide detector installations (particularly in domestic situations) yet every building has a smoke alarm.”

Article written by Brian Shillibeer

Share



Related Articles

THINK! Drink

Tell your friends not to drink drive this festive period says the latest THINK! campaign which started on December 7. For this year’s campaign, which runs to...

 Read Full Article
School Sprinklers - NFCC Issues Lesson

The National Fire Chiefs Council is calling for all new school builds or refurbishments to have sprinklers fitted - a policy that is mandatory in Scotland and...

 Read Full Article
Jurassic Parks at Tower Top - 14 Rescued by Helicopter

Merlin Entertainments, the biggest ride and attraction company in the UK and with sites across the world, have suffered another embarrassment as 14 people including a...

 Read Full Article
Scaffolding - Dangers Exposed

Date: August 21 - Construction company fined after worker fell from height A construction company has been fined after a worker suffered life changing injuries after...

 Read Full Article
Bong - And Here Is The News - Big Ben to Be Silenced UPDATE

Since ThisWeekinFM reported this story on Monday Aug 14, MPs, concerned the Bell & Chimes would be silenced for too long, have intervened to consider if the period of...

 Read Full Article
Cladding Fire Fears - Unit Closed and Patients Moved

Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has received a report on fire safety in the Trauma Unit at the John Radcliffe Hospital. An extraordinary Board Meeting...

 Read Full Article
Gritter Driver Jailed for Illegal U-turn Death

A gritter lorry driver whose illegal U-turn led to the death of a motorcyclist has been jailed. Peter Wright, 45 of from Stanford-Le-Hope, Essex was convicted of...

 Read Full Article
GMBies and Gumbies - Who are the Heat Wave Fools?

According to the GMB union this morning (June 23), a Watford hospital worker has been suspended for rolling his trousers up on the hottest day of the year. Apparently...

 Read Full Article
Newcastle's Nutter Knifeman Nicked

The security nightmare of an armed intruder on the premises of a retail/shopfront estate struck in Nwcastle on Friday June 9 with a knifeman holding Job Centre employees...

 Read Full Article
Game, Set and Match as Landlords Get Record Fine

Friday may 26 saw crews called to fire in hedgerow at Wimbledon Tennis Club Four fire engines and 21 firefighters and officers went to a practice court area of the All...

 Read Full Article