The Leading News & Information Service For The Facilities, Workplace & Built Environment Community

Wednesday, 8 April

MIPIM Rescheduled After French Government Issues Coronavirus Warning

MIPIM Rescheduled After French Government Issues Coronavirus Warning

The real estate event, originally planned for March 10-13, has been rescheduled to summer 2020, due to growing concerns relating to the COVID-19 Virus. The announcement comes after the French government put a temporary ban on public gatherings where over 5,000 people are due.

The show, held at Palais des Festivals, Cannes, France has been rescheduled to June 2-5. 

MIPIM is a 4-day event where attendees can meet people from all sectors of the international real estate industry. Their website states that 26,800 people participate, including 3,800 exhibiting companies.

Some exhibitors and attendees have taken to social media to complain about the news and have called for the event to be postponed until 2021 instead.

 

MIPM official statement

 

On February 28, MIPIM had confirmed that the event would go ahead, explaining the additional medical measures that had been put in place:

  • Communication of World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations regarding hand, respiratory and best hygiene practices, available online by clicking here, with reminders onsite (signage, dedicated staff training)
  • Strengthened collaboration with local partners (airport, hotels, City of Cannes) to ensure vigilance and health/safety processes
  • Reinforced medical team at the venue
  • Increased standards of hygiene and cleanliness in the venue, including hand disinfectant gel in all public zones within the Palais des Festivals
  • Additional support to exhibitors who wish to adopt specific hygiene measures for their stands

However, Reed MIDEM, event organisers of MIPIM released a statement on February 29 at 2:00PM:

“The well-being of our clients and staff is our priority. Given the evolving context, the best course of action is to postpone MIPIM to June,” said Reed MIDEM Chief Executive, Paul Zilk.

 

“The well-being of our clients and staff is our priority. Given the evolving context, the best course of action is to postpone MIPIM to June”

–Paul Zilk

Chief Executive, Reed MIDEM

 

Advice from French government

 

On the same day (February 29), the French Health Minister Olivier Veran revealed to journalists that  “all public gatherings of more than 5,000 people in a confined space are temporarily banned across France,” 

After a cabinet meeting at Elysee Palace, Veran added:

“These measures are temporary and we will likely have to revise them. They are restrictive and paradoxically we hope they don’t last long because that means we will have contained the virus’ spread,” 

 

New June date has potential to cause issues

 

The news of the changed date has been causing debate amongst social media users, who are concerned about the financial implications of attending MIPIM during peak summer season.

“Wouldn't it be better to move to another off season date..ie October? June is already high season on the Cote d'Azur.” said one user.

Others highlighted the possibility of the newly rescheduled event having to be cancelled again:

“That’s a lot of unrecoverable sunk costs, accom [sic] prices in June threefold and UK schools out then. Plus situation could be same/worse then and we lose out twice over? Much better to have cancelled ‘til 2021.”

One user claims that MIPIM had handled communications with clients badly:

“@MIPIMWorld were calling people last week in complete denial that the virus was event [sic] present in France. They finally bowed to pressure when the big service providers (backbone of their revenue) withdrew. No leadership, courage or responsibility shown.”

Some reinforced the inevitability of postponing the show given the scale of the outbreak, and called for people to “look at the bigger picture”.

MIPIM have said that they will be communicating regularly with the MIPIM community to provide details of the event in June

Picture: Palais des Festivals, Cannes

Article written by Ella Tansley

Share



Related Articles

French Industrial Consortium To Produce 10,000 Ventilators In 50 Days 

In response to the French government’s urgent request for more ventilators to treat the patients most severely affected by COVID-19, a group of companies have...

 Read Full Article
NHS Nightingale – A Hospital Built in 9 Days

As it admits its first patients, ThisWeekinFM takes a look at how London’s ExCeL exhibition centre was transformed in just nine days into NHS...

 Read Full Article
Protecting Your Employees’ Mental Health

April is Stress Awareness Month, and people working across every industry are experiencing a significant increase in pressure. Flexible working campaigner Anna...

 Read Full Article
Fooditude Reopens Kitchen To Serve Those Most In Need During COVID-19

London-based contract caterer Fooditude has reopened its kitchen to help feed the most vulnerable people in their local community. They are serving vulnerable and...

 Read Full Article
ThisWeekinFM COVID-19 Statement

Updated on Wednesday 8 April 2020 This statement will be updated frequently, as and when more information comes to light. Being at the heart of the news...

 Read Full Article
“It’s Our Communities That Will Guide Us Through This” Says British Land

Anna Devlet, Head of Community at British Land, writes about the importance of community at this time, and how the power of local partnerships with suppliers, colleagues...

 Read Full Article
Join The FM Resource Bank

Help us to connect service providers, to pool their resources and help each other in these unprecedented times. As a leading voice in the facilities management,...

 Read Full Article
Commercial Cleaners To “Force” Key Worker Recognition

A London-based contract cleaning service is calling for their peers to "force" formal recognition of their staff as key workers. Alexandra Diaz, Managing...

 Read Full Article
British Safety Industry Federation Warns Against Fake PPE

The British Safety Industry Federation is urging anyone seeking offers of PPE to check the validity of any products and their certification before using...

 Read Full Article
Sodexo Launches €30 Million Employee Relief Program, Funded By Senior Executives

Food services and FM company Sodexo is establishing a €30 million relief fund, funded by the company and senior executives. The official company press release...

 Read Full Article