The Building Engineering Services Association (BESA) has evolved throughout the years to reflect the growing needs of our members and encompass all of the specialist services available within the built environment.
Established in 1904, BESA has a proud heritage and has been known by several names throughout its history, most notably as the Heating and Ventilating Contractors’ Association (HVCA). Now trading as BESA, our primary focus is to support and serve our members active in the design, installation, commissioning, maintenance, control and management of engineering systems and services in buildings.
We are a membership organisation. Our mission is to act as our member’s voice, representing the best interests of firms active within the built environment at a regional and national level. Our members range from the smallest enterprises to the largest organisations within the industry, we offer specialist support services, training courses and advice that is tailored to meet their individual requirements.
Our headquarters are in London, but we are active throughout the UK - with a longstanding presence in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, as well as eight regional offices. Our regional presence is facilitated by a team of dedicated Association Managers who build strong working relationships with each of our members, enabling networking and sharing of best practice, business opportunities and advice on all local and national developments.
The specialist groups within the BESA provide members with an opportunity to address issues and set standards across the disciplines that comprise building engineering services.
- Ventilation The group is committed to maintaining the highest technical, efficiency and safety standards in ductwork manufacture and installation.
- Refrigeration, Air Conditioning & Heat Pumps The group is committed to safeguarding the environment by promoting and improving professionalism in the refrigeration and air conditioning sector.
- Heating & Plumbing Services The group is committed to the delivery of sustainable, energy-efficient heating and plumbing solutions in residential and small commercial buildings.
- Service & Facilities The group is committed to promoting the highest standards in the management and control of engineering services systems and facilities across the built environment.
Specialist Interest Groups
From time to time, special interest groups are formed within the BESA when issues arise that call for particular focus, either for a specific period or on an ongoing basis.
- Ventilation Hygiene – Formed by the Service and Facilities Group, the Ventilation Hygiene Branch was instrumental in the development of the BESA Guide to Good Practice for the Internal Cleanliness of Ventilation Systems (TR19), and continues to focus on topical issues relating to ductwork cleaning.
- Indoor Air Quality – The Indoor Air Quality Strategy Group – membership of which comprises manufacturers and consulting engineers as well as contractors – has been formed to build positive contacts within local and central government and to develop alliances with like-minded organisations.
View all our guidance on coronavirus on our dedicated webpage.
If you have any further questions, please do get in touch to see how we can help.
Call: 0207 313 4900 (Opt 1)
Why Become A BESA Member
We help you win work, get paid, be supported and make sure your voice is heard. Find out what BESA Membership can do for you and your business.