The Leading News & Information Service For The Facilities, Workplace & Built Environment Community

Monday, 24 February

They've Done It All - Harley House Gets Complete Fire Refit

Harley House mansion block in London’s Marylebone

The Harley House mansion block in London’s Marylebone has seen the successful completion of a £200,000 contract to replace and upgrade its fire detection and alarm system.

The house was originally built more than 120 years ago and offers some of the most desirable residential accommodation in the capital.

Polyteck (a construction and FM firm) were tasked by client D&G Block Management to remove and decommission the old conventional fire detection and alarm systems ahead of the installation of new state of the art equipment which included a new hybrid analogue EMS radio system and radio heat detection technology in each apartment and all communal spaces.

 

Detection and sounders

The latest EMS FireCell radio detection and sounders have also been installed in common areas such as stairwells and the reception space, while a cause and effect system featuring delays, notifications and controls will be managed from the master system panel at the site porters' lodges.

 

Maintenance

Polyteck will also be responsible for the repair and maintenance of the system. Alex Georgiev, operations director at the company, said: “We work in a number of high-end residential properties - this is a stunning mansion block with a rich history and our fire detection and alarm systems will preserve this property for current residents as well as future generations.”

Sean Palmer, building services engineer, Watts Group (who consulted on the project), added: “This was a complex project to navigate due to tenants residing in the areas of works.”

Picture: The somewhat expensive to live in Harley House mansion block in London’s Marylebone.

Article written by Brian Shillibeer

Share



Related Articles

Functional Stupidity and How to Deal With It

Many organisations and teams unwittingly suffer from 'functional stupidity' – but what is it and how do you deal with it? Have you ever worked in an...

 Read Full Article
Overloaded and Under Engaged – Tech and Emails are Turnoffs

UK office workers are wasting 1.8 billion hours a year due to mediocre technology and employees are increasingly disengaged from their colleagues and employers as they...

 Read Full Article
School Gets Hard Knock With Fire Conviction

A prestigious Wakefield school and former fire risk assessor have been fined after admitting fire safety offences across educational premises. The conviction was first...

 Read Full Article
Palace Ablaze

The famous Camden Palace in London has gone up in flames with 30 per cent of the roof ablaze at one point. The fire broke out on Monday night (January 6) at about...

 Read Full Article
Brentford Hotel Fire - Was Cladding Involved?

A fire at a Travelodge hotel on December 4 prompted ThisWeekinFM to ask was any type of cladding (particularly aluminium panels containing a plastic filling) ...

 Read Full Article
It's Quicker By Tube

The Mayor of London has launched a £10 million boost for full fibre connectivity across London - a ‘Fibre Backbone’, using Tube tunnels and public...

 Read Full Article
The Speechmark Makes You Speechless

Fronted by curved glass and framed in slate black, The Speechmark is arguably now one of the most striking buildings in Southwark – an area of London already...

 Read Full Article
Fire Does The Strand - 250 Office Evacuation

Just as people were arriving for work on Tuesday October 1 morning, a fire broke out at an office block on one of London's most famous streets, The Strand. The fire...

 Read Full Article
School Learns Lesson For Fire Risk Failings

Wakefield Grammar School Foundation has been obliged to plead guilty to fire safety offences while the school's former fire risk assessor pleaded guilty to failing to...

 Read Full Article
Trailers Trashed At Hotpoint Fire

A fire at a spare parts holding facility has a ring of irony as it is owned by Whirlpool, the manufacturer of tumble dryers implicated in domestic fires and whose...

 Read Full Article