The Leading News & Information Service For The Facilities, Workplace & Built Environment Community

Friday, 20 September

Chucked Crowbar Causes Flashover Catastrophe

The un-isolated 400V ac which caused a flashover and burns.

Two companies have been fined after a worker attempted to test if high voltage equipment was isolated by throwing a crowbar at it - it wasn't and a skin melting flashover occurred.

Chelmsford Magistrates Court heard how on the 12th April 2017, two demolition workers employed by sub-contractor RB Haigh & Sons were removing electrical distribution equipment from a switchgear room at the former Molecular Products site in Thaxted, Essex.

Mr Alan Banks had been told by the principal contractor that the electrical equipment had been isolated. To reassure his colleague that it was safe he threw a crowbar at the 400V ac equipment. This came into contact with live exposed wires, causing a flashover and temperatures of several thousand degrees, followed by a subsequent fire. As a result, Mr Banks suffered serious burn injuries and was immediately hospitalised.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found that the task being undertaken had not been properly planned and suitable control measures were not implemented to ensure the isolation of the power supply. The principal contractor, A J Wadhams & Co Ltd failed to follow the clear procedures outlined in their risk assessments and method statements, which identified all equipment must be treated as live unless written authorisation proved otherwise.

 

Electricity at Work

Russell Haigh and Stuart Haigh (Partners of R B Haighs & Sons) of Thaxted, Essex, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 and were fined £80,000 and ordered to pay costs of £3,882.65.

AJ Wadhams & Co Limited trading as Wadham Homes of Charterhouse Street, London, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, and have been fined £80,000 and ordered to pay costs of £3,816.60.

 

Always check

After the hearing HSE inspector Adam Hills said “This incident has had a significant impact on Mr Banks life and the injuries could so very easily have been fatal. Had the companies followed the control measures outlined in their respective risk assessments, then this incident would not have occurred. Never assume that an electrical supply is disconnected. Always check with the Distribution Network Operator or a qualified electrician to obtain written proof of isolation before commencing work.”

Picture: The un-isolated 400V ac which caused a flashover and burns.

Article written by Brian Shillibeer

Share



Related Articles

Lending A Hand Costs Security Guard His Fingers

A security guard has lost his fingers after being asked by a groundworks contractor to lend a hand to do a job he was not employed or skilled to do. Elsewhere, seven...

 Read Full Article
Well Blow Me Down - Director Fined For Being Blown Off Roof

A director of a construction has seen his company (along with two others) fined when he was blown off an unsafe roof.  The three firms, Bowmer and Kirkland,...

 Read Full Article
Lanes Fined £500,000 After Worker Injured In Fall

Lanes Group PLC have been fined £500,000, with £9,896.19 costs, after pleading guilty to one offence under the Work at Height Regulations 2005. Westminster...

 Read Full Article
147 Dead - 2018/19 Fatal Injury Stats Released

July 3 saw the HSE release their annual provisional workplace fatality figures for 2018/19. 147 workers died between April 2018 and March 2019 (a rate of 0.45 per...

 Read Full Article
Waste Companies Maim And Kill

A company in the recycling sector has been fined over a manual handling of loads issue and two other firms in the same business have been fined for separate...

 Read Full Article
Dying Matters - Hospital Trust Fined For Asbestos Breach

Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust has been fined after refurbishment work at a hospital exposed employees and contractors to asbestos. The Trust has launched...

 Read Full Article
Veolia Hit With £1m Vehicle Death Fine

The waste and recycling arm of Veolia has been fined £1 million following the death of a worker who was run over by a reversing refuse collection...

 Read Full Article
Interserve - Basic Failings In Basic Maintenance. Troubled Firm Hit With Huge Bio Hazard Fine

Emergency generators failed and one caught fire when they were called in to use. Interserve has been fined after multiple safety failings could have caused a serious bio...

 Read Full Article
Developer Jailed After Building Collapse

July 20 saw a Manchester property developer sentenced after the roof and part of the rear wall collapsed at one of his commercial properties during demolition...

 Read Full Article
Failing & Falling - Lift Shaft Plunge Sees Care Home Fined

A care home has been fined (June 26) after an employee plunged down a lift shaft and suffered significant injuries after falling around 1.5 metres. Northampton...

 Read Full Article