The Leading News & Information Service For The Facilities, Workplace & Built Environment Community

Friday, 6 December

Legionnaires’ Outbreak Followed by Explosion Leads To £1.6 Million Fine

Faltec Europe has been fined after a Legionnaires’ disease outbreak

A manufacturer has been fined £1.6 million after a Legionnaires’ disease outbreak and an explosion occurred at the same plant within a year.

The Health and Safety Executive investigated and prosecuted car parts maker Faltec Europe Limited in relation to both incidents.

Five people fell seriously ill following the Legionnaires’ disease outbreak and one worker suffered serious burns from the explosion incident.

On May 17, Newcastle Crown Court heard that between October 2014 and June 2015, two employees, two agency workers and a local resident fell seriously ill with Legionnaires Disease. The HSE found the illness was caused by Faltec’s failure to effectively manage its water cooling systems within the factory, causing the legionella bacteria within the water supply to grow to potentially lethal levels.

 

Explosion

In relation to the explosion incident, the same court heard that on 16 October 2015, an operator attempted to recover a part that came off production rollers at the plant in Boldon. There is an explosive atmosphere within the machine during normal production. The part he was retrieving came into contact with an electrostatic grid, which created a spark and caused a dust explosion. The 19-year old man suffered first degree burns to his face and arms.

The HSE found that adequate measures were not put in place to protect operators from explosion risks, this was despite previous explosions having occurred.

 

Conviction

Concerning the legionella incident, Faltec pleaded guilty and was fined £800,000. In relation to the explosion, the company also pleaded guilty and was fined another £800,000. The company was also ordered to pay costs of £75,159.73 and a victim surcharge of £120.

 

Six people and the local community

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Fiona McGarry said: “The explosion and outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease at the Faltec factory had a major impact on the six people affected, with some suffering long-term ill-health as a result. In addition, the incidents raised concern amongst other employees and the local community."

HSE inspector Michael Kingston said: “Legionnaires’ disease is a relatively uncommon but potentially fatal form of pneumonia. When water systems are not properly controlled and maintained there is a risk of exposing both employees and the wider community to Legionella bacteria. Following the outbreak, and HSE enforcement, improved control measures have now been implemented by the company to better manage the Legionella risks at the site.”

McGarry continued: “Where dangerous substances create a fire and explosion risk, there needs to be adequate control measures in place to prevent an explosion or mitigate the consequences. The risks should have been assessed before the machine was put into use and the previous incidents should have resulted in a comprehensive review by a competent person. Operators need to be trained on the fire and explosion risks and understand the required controls.”

Picture: Car parts manufacturer Faltec Europe has been fined after a Legionnaires’ disease outbreak and an explosion occurred at its premises within a year.

Article written by Brian Shillibeer

Share



Related Articles

Horrific Way To Die - Man Falls In To Baling Compactor

A waste worker has been killed after falling in to a baler; two companies have been fined for inadequate asbestos precautions;. a worker has fallen from the roof of a...

 Read Full Article
147 Dead - 2018/19 Fatal Injury Stats Released

July 3 saw the HSE release their annual provisional workplace fatality figures for 2018/19. 147 workers died between April 2018 and March 2019 (a rate of 0.45 per...

 Read Full Article
Veolia Hit With £1m Vehicle Death Fine

The waste and recycling arm of Veolia has been fined £1 million following the death of a worker who was run over by a reversing refuse collection...

 Read Full Article
Interserve - Basic Failings In Basic Maintenance. Troubled Firm Hit With Huge Bio Hazard Fine

Emergency generators failed and one caught fire when they were called in to use. Interserve has been fined after multiple safety failings could have caused a serious bio...

 Read Full Article
Workplace Health Experts Join Committee

The Health & Safety Executive has appointed experts in the gig economy and mental health to its Workplace Health Expert Committee. The Workplace Health Expert...

 Read Full Article
HSE Injury And Ill-Health Statistics Released

October 30 saw the HSE releases the annual injury and ill-health statistics for Great Britain showing that 28.2 million working days were lost due to work-related illness...

 Read Full Article
Hotel All At Sea Over Asbestos

Two companies have been fined. RJW Building Solutions, a contractor carrying out refurbishment work at the Sea Hotel in South Shields and Hotel 52, the client, were...

 Read Full Article
Leak And Ladder Lead To Bad Mix At Chemical Co

An employee inspecting a steam leak at height fell to the ground when the ladder he was on failed. The employee of Vertellus Specialties UK fell two metres and suffered a...

 Read Full Article
Lending A Hand Costs Security Guard His Fingers

A security guard has lost his fingers after being asked by a groundworks contractor to lend a hand to do a job he was not employed or skilled to do. Elsewhere, seven...

 Read Full Article
Well Blow Me Down - Director Fined For Being Blown Off Roof

A director of a construction has seen his company (along with two others) fined when he was blown off an unsafe roof.  The three firms, Bowmer and Kirkland,...

 Read Full Article