The Leading News & Information Service For The Facilities, Workplace & Built Environment Community

After the Devil Has Bolted - Cars Trashed at Old Trafford

18 May 2016 | Updated 01 January 1970
 

On Sunday (May 15), Manchester United were due to play their last game of the season against Premier League minnows Bournemouth but the game was abandoned as security fears grew. A device - a mobile phone strapped to a pipe - was uncovered and the stadium evacuated. It later transpired the device was meant to be found...during a training exercise but had accidentally been left in situ. The gaff is said to have associated costs running into the £millions.

On Tuesday (May 17) the match finally went ahead in front of a much reduced attendance - but the directors were all there including Chief Executive Ed Woodward who was photographed being searched from top to bottom. Though a believer in solidarity, Mr Woodward doesn't expect that type of scrutiny. Club staff, drafted in security personnel and the Police made a point of being of a higher profile than usual - which seemed a little pointless as the security risk had neither been raised nor diminished. Tactical Aid Units were also deployed on routes to the stadium.

Cars trashed

Unfortunately and embarrassingly all the heightened security around the stadium didn't deter vandals and thieves going on a spree in a nearby fans' carpark. Windows were smashed and valuables taken and at least one car had all four wheels stolen. The Police were called just before half-time in the match (8:37pm) to the Pomona Strand carpark where they found up to 20 cars (ranging from Fords to VWs to BMS) seriously damaged - windscreens in particular had been smashed. One Ford was jacked-up on bricks with its alloy wheels missing.

 

MD takes personal blame for blunder

Meanwhile, the managing director of Security Search Management and Solutions, Chris Reid, has taken personal blame for the blunder that saw the original match abandoned. He said that his company had a robust system for checking dummy devices used in training exercise were signed out and back in again. The week prior to the game saw such an exercise and 13 devices were deployed and retrieved. The fourteenth was mistakenly signed back in when in fact it was still residing in a toilet facility.

Reid is said to have worked for the Metropolitan Police as a Counter Terrorist Police Search Advisor for 32 years.

Tony Lloyd, Greater Manchester's Mayor and Police and Crime Commissioner said: "Twenty minutes before kick-off and the mistake has still not been noted. How there was no back-up system - you count thirteen and you know one is missing - is beyond me.

"Just twenty minutes before kick-off a sweep discovers a device that could be real - now this is impossible to fathom and some serious questions now need to be asked of our systems."

Main Picture: The Bomb disposal Team at Man U. Supplementary picture - the scene at the Pomona Strand carpark

Article written by Brian Shillibeer | Published 18 May 2016

Share



Related Articles

Sunday Bowling Turns To Hostage Siege

On Tuesday October 4, David Clarke, aged 53, of Nuneaton, was charged with two counts of false imprisonment, one count of criminal damage, two counts of possession of a...

 Read Full Article
Terror Arrests Up 68% But Police Resources at Breaking Point

The head of the National Police Chiefs' Council, Chief Constable Sara Thornton, has said resources are being stretched to breaking point by the UK's counter...

 Read Full Article
Oval Crossbow Incident - Evacuation and Security Questions Answered

In to the firing line On Monday (Sept 4) ThisWeekinFM asked the Metropolitan Police: Why did the Police attending the incident choose to evacuate the crowd to street...

 Read Full Article
Operation Crossbow - Oval Security Slammed

The security arrangements at the Oval for Thursday 31's cricket match between Middlesex and Surrey have been slammed by ThisWeekinFM's own eye witness. The...

 Read Full Article
The Never Ending Threat - Rowley Speaks Out

During an interview on BBC Radio 4’s ‘Today’ programme on Friday, August 11, Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley, head of National Counter Terrorism...

 Read Full Article
Return to Basics - Barriers Back on Bridges

Following the terrorist attacks in Westminster and London Bridge, MI5 and Counter Terrorism Command have reviewed the security of the 33 bridges in...

 Read Full Article
Terror Arrests - No Connection

Three men arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences are absolutely NOT connected to the recent London attacks, ThisWeekinFM has discovered despite reports to the...

 Read Full Article
Return to Basics - Bobbies on the Beat is the Only Way

The Police Federation has renewed calls for more investment in neighbourhood policing in the wake of the Westminster, London Bridge & Borough Market and Manchester...

 Read Full Article
BA Fracas Focused On Plug-in Failure

British Airways' parent company has allowed its Chief Executive to tell an audience the recent IT catastrophe (which affected 75,000 passengers) was caused not by...

 Read Full Article
Power Failure - BA Sticks to Feeble Excuse

British Airways' excuse for its catastrophic IT failure that has seen flight schedules resume but many passengers stranded and separated from their luggage, was so...

 Read Full Article