The Leading News & Information Service For The Facilities, Workplace & Built Environment Community

Fathers' Day - Killings Get Scant Justice

26 October 2016 | Updated 01 January 1970
 

A company providing environmental services has been prosecuted after a worker was killed during asbestos removal work at a Welsh High school.

Newport Magistrates Court heard how the 26-year-old father from Gwent had accessed a ceiling void at Cwmcarn High School on 19 July 2013 to create an enclosure to contain the asbestos during its removal. While he was cutting plastic sheeting he cut into a live electric cable and was electrocuted.

A Health and Safety Executive investigation found that Caswell Environmental Services Ltd had not taken adequate steps to ensure that the electrical supply at the school was isolated before the work was undertaken. The company was found guilty in their absence, to breaching Sections 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act, 1974. In sentencing the Judge considered the fact that the company was now in liquidation and delivered a total nominal fine of £10,000 with £1,000 in costs.

 

A Nottingham based company has been fined after a worker died from carbon monoxide poisoning while using an accommodation unit.

Southwark Crown Court heard that the father of three from Nottingham was carrying out pile testing for Non Destructive Testing Services Limited at a construction site in Brixton, London on 29 May 2012. The accommodation unit he was using was fitted to a vehicle and while he was inside it he was overcome by carbon monoxide fumes generated by a gas appliance inside the unit.

An HSE investigation found that the accommodation unit had been set-up with two gas appliances, with associated pipework and gas bottles which had been stored within it for a number of years. There was also inadequate ventilation in the unit.

The company had not planned out how the welfare unit would be equipped when deciding to fit it to the vehicle and failed to carry out suitable and sufficient inspections of the cabins over a long period of time.

Non Destructive Testing Services pleaded guilty to breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act and was fined £70,000 and ordered to pay costs of £45,944.

Speaking after the case HSE Inspector Darren Alldis said: “This case shows the importance of planning out properly the design of welfare accommodation. The consideration of risks associated with gas and carbon monoxide is essential.

“This unit should never have been set up in this way and posed a risk throughout the whole time it was being used.”

Picture: Newport Magistrates Court issued a nominal fine of £10,000 with £1,000 in costs to killers Caswell Environmental Services

Article written by Brian Shillibeer | Published 26 October 2016

Share



Related Articles

Dursley Does It - Fine For School Unlicensed Asbestos Removal

A company has been fined following an unlicensed asbestos removal from a school. The unsafe and unlicensed removal occurred during refurbishment works at Dursley...

 Read Full Article
Safety Fines Reflect Size of Guilty Firms

A construction company has been fined £3/4 million for asbestos failings; another for a falling load crush; another for a trench collapse; and another for an...

 Read Full Article
Shocking Ways to Land in Court

BAM Construction Limited and Shoreland Projects Limited have been fined after a man suffered multiple life changing injuries including severe burns to his...

 Read Full Article
Asbestos Analyst Fined for Falsifying Documents

An asbestos analyst has been fined after he falsified an asbestos air clearance certificate, following licensed asbestos removal in Manchester. Greater Manchester...

 Read Full Article
Cavalier Estate Management Firm Fined Again

A real estate company in Oxfordshire has been fined for failing to manage asbestos on its premises following a fire. Reading Crown Court heard how a fire occurred at...

 Read Full Article
Phoenix Nights Delayed by Asbestos Exposure

A Bolton night club owner has been sentenced after admitting a failure to carry out a survey for asbestos before starting on the refurbishment of a local night...

 Read Full Article
GM Drives into Asbestos Trouble

General Motors UK Ltd has been prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive after work being undertaken at its North Road, Ellesmere Port site in 2014 exposed...

 Read Full Article
Airline Company Guilty For Lift Shaft Plunge Horror

Flybe, the airline company, was sentenced on 4 February 2020 for the unsafe operation of a passenger lift. Meanwhile, a number of other firms have found themselves...

 Read Full Article
Newnham College Cambridge Lands Asbestos Failings Fine

Newnham College Cambridge has been fined for failings that exposed employees and subcontractors to asbestos during refurbishment of a flat owned by the...

 Read Full Article
Hotel All At Sea Over Asbestos

Two companies have been fined. RJW Building Solutions, a contractor carrying out refurbishment work at the Sea Hotel in South Shields and Hotel 52, the client, were...

 Read Full Article