The Leading News & Information Service For The Facilities, Workplace & Built Environment Community

Friday, 14 August

Old Hoax Caller Caught?

22 March 2017 | Updated 01 January 1970
 

Detectives from the Kensington and Chelsea division have arrested an alleged hoax caller on Wednesday March 22. The a 36 year old man was picked-up at a residential address in Essex on suspicion of an offence under Section 51 of the Criminal Law Act, namely making a bomb threat.

An investigation that led to the arrest started after a forensic review of evidence seized from the scene of a hoax bomb threat, made at a fast food restaurant, in Brompton Road, on 10 November 1999. The threat was said have been made by a Far-right organisation.

The man has been taken to an east London custody centre, where he remains in custody.

 

Cardiff man pleads guilty to terrorism offences

Samata Ullah from Cardiff admitted terrorism offences at the Old Bailey on Monday 20. Ullah was arrested in Cardiff, on 22 September 2016.

On 29 April 2016, officers from the Kenyan Anti-Terrorism Police arrested a man in Kenya. His electrical devices showed that he was in regular contact with someone of a similar extremist mind-set and the pair had had discussions about developing the specialist skills to assist ISIS in their campaign of terror.

The Kenyan Office of the director of public prosecutor shared this information with international partners who then supplied the information to the authorities in the UK. Officers from the MPS Counter Terrorism Command, supported by the Wales Extremism and Counter Terrorism Unit, launched an investigation into Samata Ullah - the man the Kenyan suspect had been speaking to.

During the course of their investigation into Ullah's activities, officers established Ullah was not just a supporter of ISIS but an active member. They found evidence that he assisted others, who shared his mind-set, teaching them how to keep their actions and communications secret.

He assisted in the development of a website with the purpose of helping people prepare for acts of terrorism - specifically hacking into computers.

Commander Dean Haydon, MPS Counter Terrorism Command, said: "Just because Ullah's activity was in the virtual world we never underestimated how dangerous his activity was. He sat in his bedroom in Wales and created online content with the sole intention of aiding people who wanted to actively support ISIS and avoid getting caught by the authorities.

"This is just the sort of information that may have helped people involved in planning devastating, low technical level, attacks on crowded places as we have seen in other cities across the world."

Picture: Samata Ullah from Cardiff will be sentenced on April 28 at the Old Bailey

Article written by Brian Shillibeer | Published 22 March 2017

Share



Related Articles

Northern Ireland - IOD Placed at Primary School

A 'significant device' has been seized following a security alert outside Holy Cross Girls Primary School in the Ardoyne area of north Belfast on Sunday...

 Read Full Article
Anchor's Away in Terrorism Boat Trial

The Metropolitan Police Service, along with emergency service partners, has carried out the first joint major live-play exercise to test their response to a terrorist...

 Read Full Article
Keystone Cops - Dim Squad Call Bomb Squad

A not so controlled explosion took place outside Workington Police Station on the morning of Thursday 2 (8:00am), destroying a 'suspicious' vehicle. However the...

 Read Full Article
London, Manchester Could Have Been Stopped. Different Actions - More Arrests

Attacks in London and Manchester between March and June 2017 The UK is facing an intense threat from terrorism according to all that commented on the publication of...

 Read Full Article
Schoolboy Planned Westminster-style Terror Attack

A teenager was convicted on November 27 of planning to drive a car into a crowd of people in Cardiff in a Daesh-inspired terror attack. Targets he researched included...

 Read Full Article
Sunday Bowling Turns To Hostage Siege

On Tuesday October 4, David Clarke, aged 53, of Nuneaton, was charged with two counts of false imprisonment, one count of criminal damage, two counts of possession of a...

 Read Full Article
Guns, Drugs, Explosives & Manuals

A man has appeared before Westminster Magistrates' Court charged with terrorism offences. Warren Sneddon, 44, of Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, appeared at...

 Read Full Article
Terror Arrests Up 68% But Police Resources at Breaking Point

The head of the National Police Chiefs' Council, Chief Constable Sara Thornton, has said resources are being stretched to breaking point by the UK's counter...

 Read Full Article
Oval Crossbow Incident - Evacuation and Security Questions Answered

In to the firing line On Monday (Sept 4) ThisWeekinFM asked the Metropolitan Police: Why did the Police attending the incident choose to evacuate the crowd to street...

 Read Full Article
Operation Crossbow - Oval Security Slammed

The security arrangements at the Oval for Thursday 31's cricket match between Middlesex and Surrey have been slammed by ThisWeekinFM's own eye witness. The...

 Read Full Article