The Leading News & Information Service For The Facilities, Workplace & Built Environment Community

Return to Basics - Barriers Back on Bridges

09 June 2017 | Updated 01 January 1970
 

Following the terrorist attacks in Westminster and London Bridge, MI5 and Counter Terrorism Command have reviewed the security of the 33 bridges in London.

Subsequently, since the night of Sunday, June 4, protective barriers have been installed at Westminster Bridge. Barriers will also be/or have been installed on Waterloo Bridge and Lambeth Bridge to maintain security at these venues.

The barriers are intended to increase security on what are some of London’s busiest bridges. They are designed specifically for hostile vehicle mitigation and are a national asset used around the UK. The use of barriers and other security measures at locations across London are under consideration - but for security reasons, no details are available at this time.

 

The Met's Counter Terrorism Command has released the name and photograph of the third attacker shot dead by police following the terrorist attacks on London Bridge and at Borough Market on Saturday.

While formal identification is yet to take place, detectives believe he is 22-year-old Youssef Zaghba, from east London. The deceased's family have been informed.

He is believed to be an Italian national of Moroccan descent. He was not a police or MI5 subject of interest.

The other two were named yesterday on Monday June 5 as: Khuram Shazad Butt, 27 from Barking - a British citizen who was born in Pakistan; and Rachid Redouane, 30 from Barking who had claimed to be Moroccan and Libyan (he also used the name Rachid Elkhdar).

Detectives also arrested another (27-year-old man) at an address in Barking on the morning of Tuesday, June 6. The address was being searched at time of publishing.

Pictured left to right: Khuram Shazad Butt, Rachid Redouane and Youssef Zaghba

 

Enquiries ongoing

Twelve others arrested under the investigation have all been released without charge. Seven women and five men were taken in to custody and six properties were searched.

Meanwhile officers from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command investigating the London Bridge terror attack entered an address in Ilford at 1:30am on Tuesday June 6. A search is ongoing at the addresses. Nobody has been detained.

 

Statement

A Counter Terrorism Command spokesperson said: "Counter terrorism partners have dedicated intensive effort to developing and improving our counter terrorism response over recent years, as the threat has changed. The more we know, the greater the chance when an attack does happen we will have some information about at least one perpetrator. Our work necessarily involves making difficult judgements about how to prioritise the resources available to us at a time when the UK is facing a 'Severe' and high tempo terrorist threat.

"There are 500 current terrorism investigations, involving 3,000 current subjects of interest. A small number of the highest priority investigations involve current attack planning and these investigations command a significant proportion of our resource. The remainder of our investigations focus on other activities relating to active support or facilitation of terrorism.

"Khuram Shazad Butt was known to the police and MI5. However, there was no intelligence to suggest that this attack was being planned and the investigation had been prioritised accordingly. The other named man, Rachid Redouane, was not known."

The UK lead on terrorism, Met Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said: “I would urge anyone with information about these men, their movements in the days and hours before the attack and the places they frequented to come forward.

“The police and our partners are doing everything we can across the country to help prevent further attacks and protect the public from harm. The security and intelligence services and police have stopped 18 plots since 2013, including five since the Westminster attack two months ago.”

Picture: Barriers on the bridges

Article written by Brian Shillibeer | Published 09 June 2017

Share



Related Articles

Terror Arrests - No Connection

Three men arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences are absolutely NOT connected to the recent London attacks, ThisWeekinFM has discovered despite reports to the...

 Read Full Article
Return to Basics - Bobbies on the Beat is the Only Way

The Police Federation has renewed calls for more investment in neighbourhood policing in the wake of the Westminster, London Bridge & Borough Market and Manchester...

 Read Full Article
Have a Little Faith

Statements were issued by faith leaders on Monday June 5 following the attacks in London Bridge and Borough Market. Commander Mak Chishty of the Metropolitan Police...

 Read Full Article
Yorkshire Terror Arrests Mount to Three

There have been further arrests in the counter terrorism operation related to the Manchester Bombing. A 23 year old Sheffield man has this morning (Friday June 2) been...

 Read Full Article
Critical to Severe - Lessons Still Need Heed

Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, Mark Rowley, National Lead for Counter Terrorism Policing was swift to agree to move the terror threat level in the UK...

 Read Full Article
Blue Line. Green Line. White Lines. Critical Update

Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Cressida Dick, has visited officers and military personnel on duty providing protection at the Palace of Westminster. She said:...

 Read Full Article
Man Jailed for Shrapnel Bomb Cache - Plus More Detentions

A 22-year-old man who attempted to buy a grenade on the dark web has been jailed for 10 years following an investigation by the National Crime Agency and the Met Police...

 Read Full Article
Manchester Bombing - Eight Held. Suspicious Package Alert Over

Having lead a national minute's silence at 11:00am, lunchtime on Thursday 25 saw Manchester's Chief Constable Ian Hopkins has given his latest statement to the...

 Read Full Article
Nails, Nuts & Bolts IED Pressure Cooker Bomber Jailed

A Birmingham man has been found guilty of a terrorism offence after potentially lethal bomb making equipment was found at his home. Zahid Hussain, a 29-year-old former...

 Read Full Article
Saharan Dust Moves Across UK

A storm carrying Saharan dust is causing hazy skies and layers of orange-coloured dust across southern England.   What is Saharan Dust?   Saharan...

 Read Full Article